Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Deer, Pumkins, and new ideas

Hello world,

I'm back from a weekend of cold weather, camo and new experiences. Oh and new ideas for my project. What? Camo you say? Yes I went hunting for deer for my first time this weekend, and boy am I sore! I don't remember the last time I did that much exercise. No luck on actually getting a deer but we did see some! And a really cool thing, we were about 125yards from a coyote! Cool experience!
And as I was sitting in the same stop for 4 hours on saturday I pondered about my project...

Today I will be posting on facebook asking my friends and family what they think is Art in one word. I thought this was the easiest way to get a bunch of answers so that I can start designing the poster in Photoshop. I would love to print everything on Pictarico (see through paper) however I don't have the right resources that I had at my previous school, like the color profile for printing on that paper or the access to the paper. So I'll improvise and print on regular paper and use baby oil to make the paper see through except where the ink is. This allows where the ink is to create a blockage so when I expose the screen to a very powerful UV light it creates the image on the screen. Like shining light through 2 pieces of paper to trace the image underneath.

cool hua?

 This is a bit of a rough sketch I have been working through with what my poster will look like. Ignore the one on the right, this is just how I get ideas flowing through my head. This is the first draft of the drawn image of the poster on the left. Just to get a rough idea for you my audience. Where there are circles with crossed out symbols are where the pieces I am going to design could be placed over. I am hoping I get enough attention with this poster that it will ignite a spark in my audiences' minds to make them think without even realizing they are doing it. That's the most important part of my artwork, creating a conversation within the human mind without them even realizing it.

That's what I believe a good teacher should be able to achieve in their teachings. Human beings learn and retain information better if they are benefiting from the learning experience, we don't listen to something that is uninteresting, so why should art be like that? Especially mine. That's why I found screenprinting so fascinating. I can combing photography with a medium that can use hand drawn images or digital negatives. I can create my own intriguing image to a specific audience or a group of people. The possibilities are limitless! I am most inspired from an artist called John Baldessari. He is an old man with a great personality! I first stumbled upon him when researching for a paper on my final project for Intermediate Screenprinting at my old school last year. Baldessari was originally a painter using acrylics, but then got into photography as he got older and used both knowledge to create a whole new mixed medium art form. You can learn more about him in the Art:21 archive (Season 5: Episode: Systems) which states:

"Synthesizing photomontage, painting, and language, Baldessari's deadpan visual juxtapositions equate images with words and illuminate, confound, and challenge meaning. He upends commonly held expectations of how images function, often by drawing the viewer's attention to minor details, absences, or the spaces between things. By placing colorful dots over faces, obscuring portions of scenes, or juxtaposing stock photographs with quixotic phrases, he injects humor and dissonance into vernacular imagery."
 
Above: John Baldessari wish a sample of images behind him. Below: a sample of his work.


Now that would be my dream job to work hands on with him! Internship of a Lifetime!
 
Go checkout his work and I'll add more progress of my work tomorrow! Maybe I'll even have a rough draft of the poster to post...
Adieu world!

No comments:

Post a Comment