Friday, October 22, 2010

Life sparks Questions

The question to be answered today in the artword that baffles many upon one is myself is:

What Is Art?

A darn good question too. From day to day new artists are pushing the limits that traditional artists have set for the world to explore, and by golley-G the world will break those habits of tradition! Change is required for evolution correct? So art has to evolve from painting, sculpting, and drawing to digital, mixed media, and fictitious abstractions.

What I learned in Art School: The ability to bullshit well makes a great artists.

Don't mock me, it's true! Go to an art school and see for yourself, you will be amazed at what can be called art today! I mean look at Duchamp's piece titled "fountain":
Duchamp, "Fountain"

Yes, if you are questioning yourself, that is an upside down urinal. And that abomination is called in today's society as Art. Given this was a piece in a series meant for "found art" upon which this particular piece was not displayed because it was lost according to wikipedia.
HA HA, funny fact here according to Wikipedia: "The work is regarded by some as a major landmark in 20th century art."

The art world seizes to amazed my mind! And I depend on it to fuel my creations? Bullshit time!


Ok, so world I've promised to tell you more about the project I will be creating. The idea is taking the question "Art is..." and without answering this question myself this art piece will be installed in various places around my campus and throughout the next 3-ish weeks I will secretly document my audience as they interact what they think art is. The audience will be able to participate as the performers. Which is what I love to have happen with the artwork I am most passionate with.

I will screenprint and mixed medium design and form a poster with an edition of about 2-4 so I have room to mess up or post more as I choose fit. The design will look sort of like those refrigerator magnets with the words you can take off and put together to make any sentence you want, except the words will be all on one page as I explore from friends, family and various people in the halls what they think art is in only one word.

Then I will proceed to display these posters with a box hanging next to it to hold some hand held objects that resemble an "X" and an "O", or something similar so the audience if they choose can place them upon a word that they think most describes as art. Or what they disagree what art could be.

I am planning on this poster to be about 15X20" big. So there will be plenty of words to choose from. Upon the upper middle part of the poster will be, in bigger letters, the words "Art is       " and the line afterwards is to indicate a blank space for the audience to understand as a reference for the missing word, in which I hope they will indicate the best word for themself.

My performance actually relies upon the audience participation in which I will have indicators upon the box with the playing pieces in it so the audience is invited to play or interact with the piece instead of treating the art piece like it is fragile.
I want grimy fingers upon the piece, maybe a few pieces missing, hopefully some tares in the papers. Because that will show me and my audience that this piece is meant to be played with.

So over the next few days I will be designing a sketch that will better help my ideas flow out of my head to further your impact upon my idea. Because world you are more than welcome to help me and give me feedback as I continue the journey of this project.


Now I'm off to sketch some examples for you to get a visual of my ideas...

1 comment:

  1. There really is no answer to the "What is Art?" question since the answer is objective and would be different for everyone. It's more about the exploration of the question, and the journey in its name is a life long one. It is full, challenging, heartbreaking and exciting; everything that life should be... and hopefully you'll make some money in the process ;)

    Also, thanks for coming by my site. Come by and comment whenever you like.

    ReplyDelete